You've reached the blog where I will post my experiences from my solo backpacking trip through Europe in a total of 15 days. I hope you get some good information from this site. Don't hesitate to get in touch and post about your own experiences!


Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Trip Tech: The iPhone LoJack Mod

Being the techy guy I am, I have to have a way to stay connected. This past year I purchased an iPhone. To put it bluntly, this device is badass but I'm not here to sell you one. Your BlackBerry is badass too.

Most users purchase devices and never use them to their full potential. I on the other hand buy devices and find a way to reverse engineer them. Everything from roomba vacuums, iPods, Xbox consoles, watches, PlayStation consoles, wireless internet routers and dvd players. My original iPod video lasted a whole 3 days before I modded the firmware, unlocked it and gave it the freedom a device like that deserves. It's been running like a champ since 2005. So far, my iPhones original software has lasted this long because of my company participating in the Apple 2.0 iPhone software beta program and the additional applications that you can now download. But, all good things must come to an end. Like Tom Bradys ACL.

Enter, the iPhone Jailbreak mod.

Simply put, this mod requires you to do something that Apple would never recommend, nor would they promote doing. If you are uncomfortable making operating system level changes to your computer or don't know what a shell script is, I'd probably advise against trying this. Now before I go crazy and you hear me vent my hatred towards DRM; I'm going to tell you that by doing this, you will be opening your iPhone up to a whole new world of possibilities but at the same time you will void your warranty. Google it.

So Ryan, what does this have to do with Europe? Ahh, thanks for getting me back on track.

Enter, the iPhone LoJack mod.

After you jailbreak your iPhone (or iPod touch) and install the LoJack mod you can sign up for a twitter account and use the findme script that is provided. So, long story short...I can be walking down the street in Brussels, Belgium, hit the "findme button" and have my iPhone triangulate through the nearest cell phone towers where I am (down to the street) and post it on my twitter feed and then to this very blog.

This entire process can be automated. It was created as more of a theft deterrent but for a techy backpacker like myself it works both ways.

Sweet huh!

Last Two:
Crystal Method - Roadhouse Blues (Original Dub)
Coldplay - Clocks (Gabriel and Dresden Remix)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude why don't you quit talking about hacking stuff and just jailbreak your iPhone. Come on now! Do it! Do it! Enough with the talk!